Bespoke Manufacturing Selects Zebra Technologies’ Fetch Autonomous Mobile Robots
- BMC employees then take the printed and cut clothing and home fashion components — usually seven pieces for a dress — and place them into a barcoded tote. Employees place the appropriate zippers, buttons, etc. into the tote and load it onto an AMR.
- AMRs then deliver totes between as many sewing stations as required and deliver finished products to inspection and packaging stations. As barcode scanners register the totes at each location, the plant’s M3 computer system tracks the positions of every garment in the plant.
- More Space Equals More Product
- With the factory in full operation and 120 sewing stations in use, the facility’s M3 computer system, every seven seconds, calculates where to direct each AMR based on the type of seam an operator sews, the materials loaded into their machine, and their relative skill among other variables.
- Best says that 10 of the factory’s AMRs are usually in motion simultaneously, and the M3 system can at any time adjust any of the AMR’s intended locations, based on how variables change.
- “We can redirect a tote in the middle of the process to help out with the load leveling of the factory,” says Best.
- Thanks to replacing a mechanical conveyor system with the AMR fleet, the plant enjoys a 33% improvement in space efficiency and has much more room for sewing equipment. According to Best, this tripled the production capacity of his previous plant at OnPoint Manufacturing.
Zebra’s solution will improve BMC’s workflow visibility from the initial printing and cutting of fabrics to the final phase of packing and shipping, increasing efficiency and productivity and allowing the manufacturer to scale up to meet growing demand. BMC selected Zebra’s end-to-end industrial and robotics automation solution to enable front-line workers to focus on production. Its entire workflow logistics are delegated to Zebra’s Fetch AMRs and fixed industrial scanners which move, trace, and direct workpieces to their destinations.