Applied DNA Sciences and A&E Introduce Anti-Counterfeiting Technology for Sustainable Sewing Threads
- STONY BROOK, NEW YORK and CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA – Applied DNA Sciences, Inc. a leader in Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)-based DNA manufacturing, and American & Efird (A&E), the world’s foremost thread manufacturer, announced A&E’s INTEGRITY™ advanced identification thread technology is available for its ECO100 recycled sewing thread line.
- Utilizing Applied DNA Sciences’ CertainT® molecular-based technology, A&E’s introduction of INTEGRITY™ ECO100, a sustainable and secure thread, provides an innovative and economical solution for brands to authenticate and validate their products anywhere within the supply chain by way of a common component – sewing thread.
- A&E’s INTEGRITY ECO100 identification thread line is produced with 100% recycled fiber and combines the technology of Applied DNA Sciences’ proprietary CertainT® with Beacon® platform. This innovation can authenticate a brand’s products and components by using the Beacon technology for a quick, in-the-field optical verification and, when needed, by using a portable qPCR test for a forensic analysis of the molecular tag.
- Australian celebrity designer, Sara Caverley, will use A&E’s ECO100 thread products, imbued with INTEGRITY and CertainT, in her namesake footwear brand, CAVERLEY, to ensure supply chain security and authenticity.
- Ms. Caverley noted, “During my time as a designer, one of the biggest lessons I’ve learned is the importance of supply chain security. It is essential that CAVERLEY products are produced with sustainable components that can be traced throughout their supply chain while ensuring we are delivering the very best to our customers. A&E’s ECO100 recycled sewing threads provide tangible proof of the one-of-a-kind leather and luxury trimmings used in our products.”
- “Our customers are hyper-aware of the detrimental effects of counterfeit products, from lost sales to the potential loss of brand equity. It’s a real and global threat,” said Chris Alt, Executive Vice President, A&E. “Our expansion of INTEGRITY secure thread technology developed with Applied DNA Sciences is a natural progression for us to address our customers’ needs and extend our brand protection solutions.”
- “INTEGRITY thread protects the brand, as well as supply chains, at a time when security and sustainability are extremely important. We are helping to ensure that customers can meet their supply chain traceability and sustainability goals,” said Wayne Buchen, Vice President, Strategic Sales, Applied DNA Sciences.
- About CertainT
- The CertainT® platform has three technology pillars (Tag, Test, Track) which allow raw materials and products to be tagged with a unique molecular identifier. This identifier can then be tested for its presence as it travels throughout a global supply chain. All the data points associated with tagging and testing are tracked by uploading to a secure cloud database. The platform can be used across industries such as textiles, cannabis, military, leather, fertilizer, pharmaceuticals, and personal care.
- About Applied DNA Sciences
- Applied DNA is commercializing LinearDNA™, its proprietary, large-scale polymerase chain reaction (“PCR”)-based manufacturing platform that allows for the large-scale production of specific DNA sequences.
- The LinearDNA platform has utility in the nucleic acid-based in vitro diagnostics and preclinical nucleic acid-based drug development and manufacturing market. The platform is used to manufacture DNA for customers as components of in vitro diagnostic tests and for preclinical nucleic acid-based drug development in the fields of adoptive cell therapies (CAR T and TCR therapies), DNA vaccines (anti-viral and cancer), RNA therapies, clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR) based therapies, and gene therapies. Applied DNA has also established a COVID-19 diagnostic and testing offering that is in the early stages of commercialization and is grounded in the Company’s deep expertise in DNA.
- The LinearDNA platform also has non-biologic applications, such as supply chain security, anti-counterfeiting, and anti-theft technology. Key end-markets include textiles, pharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals, and cannabis, among others.
- About A&E
- A&E, a portfolio company of Elevate Textiles, is the foremost manufacturer and distributor of premium quality industrial and consumer sewing thread, embroidery thread, and technical textiles. Producers of apparel, automotive components, home furnishings, medical supplies, footwear, and a diverse range of industrial products rely on A&E industrial sewing thread to manufacture their products. Customers select A&E as the preferred choice for industrial sewing thread, embroidery thread, and technical textiles because of A&E’s dedication to providing its customers with the finest products and services, at the highest quality, delivered globally. Through its global network, A&E’s products are manufactured in 22 countries, distributed in 50 countries, and sold in over 100 countries. In addition to A&E’s steadfast commitment to superior quality and customer service, A&E is a recognized industry leader in environmental sustainability and corporate social responsibility and operates its global facilities with the utmost regard for the safety and health of its associates employed worldwide. A&E owns or operates 28 manufacturing facilities and employs over 10,000 associates around the world directly or in partnership with joint venture partners.